At Burnie Brae Centre we value the relationship we have with our Members, Consumers and the General Community and we are committed to protecting the confidentiality and privacy of personal information. We will take all reasonable and appropriate steps to protect the privacy of individuals as required by the Information Privacy Act 2009.
Collecting your personal information
When collecting your personal information, Burnie Brae Centre will:
- tell you why personal information is being collected
- tell you what information is held on record
- tell you how the information will be used
Using your personal information
We collect personal information from you,
- When you apply for membership
- When you apply for one of our services or are referred to us for one of our services
- When you enquire about Centre facilities
- When we receive personal information from other providers you have given permission to refer to us.
The reason we collect it is to –
- Provide you with useful and relevant information
- Provide you with appropriate services
- Provide you and your family/carer with caring, prompt attention in any emergency situation which might arise
- Provide statistical data to government authorities to seek additional funding to increase and sustain service provision. (This data does not identify clients or members.)
Security of your personal information
When handling your personal information, Burnie Brae Centre will
- Take reasonable steps to ensure that all information we collect, use or disclose is securely stored
- Strive to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access
Disclosing your information
Sometimes we may need to give some personal information to another person or organisation that may also provide a service to you. Burnie Brae Centre will not disclose personal information unless:
- Your written permission to undertake this disclosure has been obtained.
- We are confident that the organisation/individual requesting your details has the same or similar privacy legislation principles in place.
Accessing, correcting or updating your information
You can access the personal information that you give us in accordance with our obligations under the Right to Information/Information Privacy Act 2009. Burnie Brae Centre will take all reasonable steps to correct and update your personal information or remove it if it is no longer required.
Contacting Burnie Brae Centre about privacy matters
If you think Burnie Brae Centre has breached your privacy and confidentiality, you may lodge a complaint with the organisation CEO who will:
- Take your complaint seriously
- Investigate it thoroughly
- Provide you with a response.